Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:13:41 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        akbeech@sinbad.net
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, Simon Dick <simond@irrelevant.org>, Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>, FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: burning an FBSD iso image using MS/Windows

Beech Rintoul wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 April 2002 08:58 am, Bill Moran wrote:
>
>>Simon Dick wrote:
>>
>>>Easy CD Creator and CDRWIN can both burn ISOs properly from memory,
>>>read the manuals for more info as I can't remember how off the top of
>>>my head
>>>
>>Make sure you're not using a CD-RW blank.  Some windows-based CD software
>>won't burn ISOs properly on rewritable CDs.  Whether this is a bug or
>>feature is beyond me (I'm not that versed in how CD burning works) it's
>>just been my experience.
>>Burning bootable FreeBSD CDs on CD-Rs has always worked for me, whatever
>>software I use (usually cdrecord, but occasionally different windows
>>programs as well)
>>

> FYI, I use Nero and have had no problems burning any of the iso's.
> Just my .02

There is usually an option off of the the "File" menu line item. It is
something like "Burn from Image" and it brings up a popup. The default
is not *.iso but there is a pull down and when you click the down
arrow and you will find iso's listed there. I tried to install a copy
of Easy CD Creator 5 that I had, but had never installed, so I could
capture an image but it won't install properly. It also will not
recognize my HP 8100i as a burner.

Some people have reported in the past that all you had to do was click
the iso and it brings up the CD burner software. I started to collect
that information as a web page
(http://users.owt.com/kstewart/freebsd/iso-images.html) but have
fallen behind on the latest versions.

I quit updating to Adaptec/Roxio because they usually broke the latest
release of Windows such as W2K for a time after a release. I think
they don't do that anymore but I also have Nero-5.5.8 on my faster
CDROM burner systems and they provide free upgrades as needed. As I
upgrade systems, I hunt for new burners that supply Nero. When XP was
release, email from Roxio indicated that you would have to buy an
upgrade from to go from W2K (EzCD 5.0) to XP (EzCD 5.1).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA