Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 23:28:02 -0500
From:      "Bob" <bjg@otherspace.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xfree86contrib | su crashing

On 30 Mar 98 at 14:54, Doug White wrote:

<SNIP>

> > the ports collection install
> > [/usr/src/ports/x11/xfree86-contrib; make install] fetches the xfree86contrib
> > version for XFree86 3.3.1, not 3.3.2.. Will this be corrected for the cd-rom
> > distribution ? that's the only way to install the contrib stuff, I don't see
> > it in the pre-compiled stuff....
>
> Most people install X from the compressed binaries during install and
> don't use the port.  The port may not be updated yet.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the installation of the compressed
binaries doesn't install the Xfree86-contrib stuff, IE: xload, etc. The only
way to install it that I know of is to use the ports collection. If there is
another way, I would like to learn of it.

Anyways, for this release, I simply d/l'ed the contrib332.tgz package from
Xfree86.org, renamed it to contrib331.tgz so the "make install" would find
it, stuck it in /usr/ports/distfiles, and ran "make install", telling it to
ignore the wrong file size. Seems to have worked. The make install script
seems to only apply one patch to the xman section, in vendor.c, and the patch
still took. Lying to the 'puter is often the only way to get it to do what
you want. :)

> > Also, su root tends to crash with a segmentation fault. Is this in some way
> > related to the Kerberos / export-restricted security stuff ? in 2.2.5, which
> > I have the cd-rom dist. of, su root would cause " Kerboros:not in correct ACL
> > to su root" or something like that, but it would allow it anyway... Maybe a
> > different version of the security stuff avail. at the ftp site ?
>
> Probably.  Recovering it involves reinstalling the bin distribution to rid
> the system of the kerberized libs.

Ummm I tried an install without Kerberos/DES.. It seems user ppp needs DES,
at least.. "Can't find libdes.so" or some such nonsense.... installing just
the DES package worked, though.

- Bob

  Governments, like diapers, should be changed
  often, and for the same reason.

  bjg@otherspace.net | http://www.otherspace.net