Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 02:40:23 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSD, .Net comments - any reponse to this reasoning?

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 03:10:59PM +0100, j mckitrick wrote:
> > | More emotionally laden nonsense.   There are a bunch of reasons to contribute
> > | changes back to the open source projects:
> > | (1) You get much less integration work when you want to utilize newer version
> > |     of the open source project.  Basically, the changes you have now made
> > |     maintain themselves WRT the open source project for free, rather than
> > |     needing more care.
> >
> > That's one I never thought of or hear stated in that way.
>
> Weird.  It's more or less the canonical argument for why contribute back to
> BSD-licensed projects.  We obviously need a FAQ or good paper about this.

I've heard it referred to as the theory (or doctrine) of enlightened self-
interest.  What we need is a really good article (mandatory plug: Daemon News)
on the advantages of the BSD license.

> > Could you give an example of these 'levers' ?
>
> A few examples (tilted in favour of work I've done and contributed back,
> because that's what's easiest to remember):
>
> - netgraph, developed by Whistle and contributed to FreeBSD.  This was viewed
>   as strategic for a while, but when the Interjet was developed enough, it was
>   degraded to being viewed as tactical and reasonable to contribute back.
>
> - The CAM code in FreeBSD, developed by Plutotech for their embedded video
>   editing system and contributed back.  This is the present basis for the
>   FreeBSD SCSI subsystem.
>
> - The original PnP support for the ed driver, developed by Yours Truly for Yes
>   interactive and donated back to FreeBSD.  This also contained a simple but
>   significant bug (one line difference) that was found by Bruce Evans after it
>   was contributed back (thus demonstrating the point of getting multiple
>   experts to look at it)
>
> - Support in i4b (the FreeBSD ISDN code) for using userland PPP.  Developed by
>   Yours Truly for Yes Interactive and contributed back.  My work on i4b also
>   avoided the reproduction of a significant bug that used to be present in
>   bisdn (the predecessor to i4b) in i4b.  This was a bug I found when making
>   bisdn work for userland PPP, and which had blocked the tty driver there from
>   working properly (instead giving sporadic crashes) through all releases of
>   bisdn, and which I would not have found if I hadn't worked on that code for
>   proprietary use (a week of debugging.)
>
> - Support in libalias (the backing library for ppp -nat and natd) for punching
>   minimal holes in an ipfw firewall for active protocols (ftp, irc dcc).
>   Developed by me for Yes Interactive, and contributed back.
>
> - A lot of the VM system work done by John Dyson for FreeBSD was sponsored by
>   Network Computers (a subsidary of Oracle) because they needed a better VM
>   system for the servers they used for the NCs.
>
> And that's just a sample.

What an excellent starting point.  A few obvious other ones leap to my mind,
including Kirk's softupdates code, Grog's vinum volume manager, and a lot
of the VM work contributed by Matt Dillon in the search for more performance
for his applications.  I'll really look forward to reading that article,
Eivind. ;^)