Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:30:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jim Overholt <overholt@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/33806: stable supfile get you release, should get stable

The following reply was made to PR misc/33806; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jim Overholt <overholt@cisco.com>
To: cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc: overholt@cisco.com (Jim Overholt),
	mike_makonnen@yahoo.com (Mike Makonnen),
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:28:27 -0800 (PST)

 > On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 11:30:51AM -0800, Jim Overholt wrote:
 > >
 > > but the standard supfile also points to RELENG_4.
 > >
 > > in fact the only difference between the 2 is comments, so why have 2.
 > > supfile-standard will not get current, it will also get RELENG_4.
 >
 > revision 1.17.2.2
 > date: 2001/04/11 21:50:13;  author: nik;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
 > Consensus on -stable (and #fightclub) is that "standard-supfile" should
 > default to the branch from which the code came.  So if you pull down
 > RELENG_4 it defaults to RELENG_4, get -current and 'tag=.'.  And when
 > we get the 'bug fix only' branch for 4.3, standard-supfile on that
 > branch should point specifically at that branch.
 >
 > Approved by:    jkh

 that makes sense, one time i installed 4.x and cvsuped using -standard and got
 5.0 -- so that was a good fix.  the issue i see is that this is a chicken
 before the egg problem, i have to cvsup to get the new file, so i can use it to
 update to get the code that i want.

 oh -- i noticed that ntpdate doesn't update the clock on 3 machines i recently
 installed, i installed 4.4 and updated (make update world + mergemaster) to
 4.5-PRERELEASE.  my clocks drift.  if i manually run 'ntpdate -b overholt-gw'
 is updates the clock.  is this a known issue?  i'm updating one of the machines
 again now to see if it is fixed.

 grep ntp /etc/rc.conf
 ntpdate_enable="YES"
 ntpdate_flags="-b overholt-gw"