Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 17:49:48 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, dgy@rtd.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggestion for kernel printk() ?

>> I use a serial console and `terminalprogram | tee foo' to capture
>> the output.
>
>Yes, but I would have had to have built the kernel with COMCONSOLE
>(which I didn't).

COMCONSOLE hasn't been necessary for 2 years in -current (just boot
with -h) but is still necessary in -stable.  Sigh.

>However, is it worthwhile for the mechanism that printk()  ?? uses to
>observe some kind of flow control?  It did not recognize scroll_lock,
>pause, ^S, etc.  This would have at least enabled me to read some
>(i.e. one screen full) of the messages to see what the kernel was
>complaining about.

Scroll lock and scrollback don't work until interrupts are enabled after
probing all the devices.  printf() doesn't have any flow control.  It
can't afford to pause once the system is up because that would freeze
the whole system.  Freezing for 1 msec per character to for output at
9600 bps is bad enough.

Bruce