Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:45:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Adam Maloney <adam@whee.org>
To:        DB <db@traceroute.dk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raid problems

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 5.3-Beta5 on a friend's server. He has a promise
> fasttracks SX4000 raid controller (raid level 5), but when booting freebsd we
> get a list of all the 4 disks. Is that right? (haven't tried installing freebsd
> on a raid computer). I've tried install freebsd on one of the disks, but when I
> restart the computer, it says it can't find /boot/kernel?

This might be a stupid question, but has the RAID been setup in the
FastTrack BIOS?  I think by default, if you just pop the card in and hook
up 4 drives, you'll see 4 drives, unless you go into it's config utility
and define an array.

If this has already been done, you might go back into it and make sure
that it's still there.