Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 1995 03:44:22 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My wishlist

 * Yea, right, forgot about all this mixed mode subdir stuff, this is another
 * good idea then!  Sorry for going back on what I had before, but without
 * this other context it was a toss up.

Ok....

 * > It's ${DISTFILES}, note the plural.  Also, do we want to do the check
 * > on every stage (fetch, checksum, extract)?  If not, we'll have to
 * > remember the dir/file pair for every component of ${DISTFILES}.

 * _DISTFILE_USE: .USE
 * 	for i in ${DISTPATH}; do \
 :
 * 	done; \
 * 	if [ x"${found_it} != x"true" ]; then \
 * 	    ${MAKE} single_fetch; \
 * 	fi;
 *
 * fetch checksum extract: _DISTFILE_USE
 *
 * Since this rolls all three similiar targets into one .USE subroutine
 * there is no duplicated code :-).

There's no duplicated code but it still checks multiple times when the
user types "make".  Well, I guess that's ok....

I think I'll first try to convert the other targets using this .USE
thing (the "skeleton" targets are pretty similar too) and see how it
works.  Thanks....

Satoshi