Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 23:39:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, metcalf@imagine.com
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM drivers

I'm pruning Mr. O'Connor's address since his machine keeps rejecting the
mail connection request.

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Jeffrey M. Metcalf wrote:

>      I am inquiring as to whether or not there have been improvements to
>      IDE CDROM device drivers since the 2.1.0 release of FreeBSD.  I
>      understand that at the time of the 2.1.0 release, the drivers were
>      in their alpha testing phase.  I have a Matsushita-Panasonic CR581
>      4x speed IDE CDROM at home and the drivers work beautifully with
>      it.  It is connected as Master device through my secondary IDE
>      interface.

Some improvement, but not as much as is really necessary.

>      My collegue has a SONY 2x speed IDE CDROM and the IDE installation
>      program is not detecting his.  Are there any updated drivers at
>      Walnut Creek that we should download and try?  If so, where would
>      we find them and documentation on how to incorporate the new drivers
>      into the kernel sources?  If not, is work ongoing?

Ugh, Sony.  Have you tried configuring his similarly to yours in respect
to positioning / jumpering on the IDE busses?

Sony tends to violate standards, so I wouldn't be surprised if it never
works.  Perhaps someone with experience with these drives can comment.

Actually, are you _positive_ it's a ATAPI/IDE CD and not a proprietary
interface CD?  There is a Sony CD driver (scd) in the system for
proprietary controllers.