Date:      Sat,  3 Aug 2002 10:01:00 +0200
From:      Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Understanding OSes and OS Programming

Hi all,

I know that this is very off topic here, but from what I could see so far there
seem to be quite a few *system hackers* on this list, so i thought I still
might ask. Please forgive me.
I am a biologist and after finishing my diploma exams and wiht more time at my
hands I want to get deeper into OS design and programming. I thought the best
way to start off is buying a good book so I looked around at amazon and found
the following:

1) The Design of the UNIX Operating System, Maurice J Bach, 1986
2) The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System (Unix and Open
Systems Series.), Marshall Kirk McKusick, Addison Wesley, Addison Wesley

and of course..
3) Operating Systems: Design And Implementation (2nd Edition), Andrew S.
Tanenbaum, Albert S. Woodhull, 1997

Any suggestions on these books? Are there others/betters? I already have
Programming C/Unix Programming books (very cheap on ebay).

Many thanks in advance and since it is so off topic could you please answer me
directly - not to the list.

Thanks again...

Jan