Date:      	Fri, 9 Jun 1995 11:51:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@blaise.ibp.fr>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does mmap() work correctly?

On Wed, 7 Jun 1995, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> >   I've been having the dreading "erorr writing symlinked article" from
> > INN on FreeBSD from 5-25.  I zapped all symlinked articles, did a
> > makeactive, and makehistory, but it happened again this morning.  Does
> > mmap() work correctly?  (I never saw anything in the commit list that
>
> I've been running INN with MMAP enabled since 4/15 (the day it was fixed)
> and got no problem. I confess that I'm not a Internet connected site
> (UUCP and laptop-by-ethernet feeds).

  Appears that mmap() was the problem.  I've compiled with READ, and it
is now 150,000 articles later with no problems (died every day before
with "can't write symlinked article" and after rebuilding history
twice).  Do you use more than one filesystem for news?  I suspect that if
you don't, inn will blishfully overwrite articles if active updating (ie
mmap) is broken.

Tom