Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:33:39 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Andrey Simonenko <simon@simon.org.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help me with building JDK1.3.1 (strange error with BOOTDIR variable)

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 05:16:25PM +0300, Andrey Simonenko wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Can somebody explaine me what I do wrong when building jdk1.3.1 port on
> FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE?
>
> [root@lion jdk13]# make -DNATIVE_BOOTSTRAP -DNODEBUG build
> ===>  Building for jdk-nodebug-1.3.1p7
> i386 Build started:   1.3.1-p7-root-021016-17:10
> ERROR: BOOTDIR does not point to a valid Java 2 SDK
>        Check that you have access to
>         /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/bin/java
>        and/or check your value of ALT_BOOTDIR.
>
> Exiting because of the above error(s).
> gmake: *** [sanity] Error 1
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk13.
>
> ps: I downloaded JDK sources from Sun and patches as it is said in jdk13
> port.

Catch 22: you need an installed and working JDK before you can
bottstrap a JDK.  I this case, just install one of the linux JDK's ---
I think linux-sun-jdk13 is quite popular for this job.

Then you can build and install the native JDK, and once that's working
OK, you can get rid of the linux JDK.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way