Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 23:05:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X11 issues (XFree86-libs port uploaded)

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have successfully created a XFree86-libs port which builds, installs, and
> links correctly with various graphics libraries and one windowmanager
> (window maker), as well as python and gd. I am posting the tarball for this
> port at (and its tarball at ~will/distfiles/XFree86-libs-3.3.6.tar.gz):
>
>         http://people.FreeBSD.org/~will/XFree86-libs.tar.gz
> Thoughts, comments, scornful remarks?

I've spent some time thinking about it, trying to see why breaking it up
into smaller chunks might be a good thing.  About the only arguments I can
see are negative ones, reasons why I'd much rather have more confidence
that most people were required by the port to install ALL of
XFree86.  Could you talk a bit about why you think breaking the port up
could be regarded as a good thing?

I'm not sure why breaking it up would be a needed first step in having our
own setup (if someone wanted to do that).

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.