Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2017 20:28:22 +0100
From:      Jakub Klama <jakub@ixsystems.com>
To:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: virtio_console in bhyve? (FreeBSD host and guest)

> Wiadomo=C5=9B=C4=87 napisana przez Patrick M. Hausen <hausen@punkt.de> =
w dniu 23.02.2017, o godz. 20:16:
>=20
> Some more information:
>=20
>> I'm trying to get guest-additions to work for FreeBSD guests in =
FreeNAS 10.
>> FreeNAS 10 is built on top of RELENG_11 and uses the bhyve =
hypervisor.
>>=20
>> Each VM is started with one virtio_console device like this:
>>=20
>> bhyve [...] -s =
'30,virtio-console,org.freenas.vm-tools=3D/var/run/containerd/dfdbb716-789=
f-44c3-9653-2157bdb3e76e.vmtools.sock'
>>=20
>> Yet, inside the VM guest (I tried RELENG_10_3 and RELENG_11_0):
>>=20
>> root@icescrum:~ # kldload virtio_console                              =
                                                  =20
>> vtcon0: <VirtIO Console Adapter> on virtio_pci1                       =
                                       =20
>> vtcon0: vtcon_ctrl_process_event: invalid port ID 779313518           =
                                                 =20
>> vtcon0: vtcon_ctrl_port_open_event: open port 0, but does not exist
>=20
> When I deploy a Linux guest virtual machine on that FreeNAS system,
> bhyve is invoked in exactly the same way:
>=20
> bhyve [...] -s =
'30,virtio-console,org.freenas.vm-tools=3D/var/run/containerd/b5652839-476=
5-4384-8cd0-90964d4b1b4f.vmtools.sock'
>=20
> (different UUID, of course).
>=20
> Yet, in Linux the virtio_console is probed correctly, a device named
> '/dev/virtio-ports/org.freenas.vm-tools' is created in the guest and =
the
> guest and the host can communicate.
>=20
> So the problems seems to lie not with FreeNAS but with the FreeBSD
> implementation of virtio_console(4).
>=20
> Anyone? Is this even the correct mailing list or should I address
> freebsd-emulation or something entirely different like -stable?

Hi Patrick,

virtio_console(4) driver in 10.3 and in 11.0 doesn't support named ports =
feature,
which is used by bhyve in FreeNAS 10. I'll look into backporting FreeBSD =
12 fixes
to stable/10 and stable/11.

Thanks,
Jakub=