Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 21:01:07 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   faulty plex in vinum

Hello!

I'm trying to create a mirrored volume of two plexes using vinum
on FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE. For creating the volume I used the
following configfile:

drive a device /dev/da0s2e
drive b device /dev/da1s2e
volume mirror1
   plex org concat
      sd length 0b drive a
   plex org concat
      sd length 0b drive b

This created the volume, but the plex on second volume was in
'faulty' state. As I understand from vinum documentation, this is
supposed to happen because I need to 'vinum init' the subdisk in
this plex first.

I did that with command 'vinum init mirror1.p1' and the
initialization process ran. The state of mirror1.p1.s0 is now
'initialized', instead of 'empty' which it was right after creating
the objects.

But the plex (mirror1.p1) is still in the 'faulty' state. When I
try to start it with command 'vinum start mirror1.p1', I get the
error message:
'Can't start mirror1.p1.s0:Drive is down (5)'

Does this mean that the hard disk which this plex resides on is
physically bad? It's kind of hard to believe, because the vinum
init command ran without complaining, but you never know...

Any insight is appreciated.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Coffee -- n., a person who is coughed upon.