Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 09:49:08 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        John Birrell <jb@what-creek.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, David Kirchner <dpk@dpk.net>
Subject:   Re: Add some more information in the ktrace(1)/kdump(1) output

Quoting John Birrell <jb@what-creek.com> (from Mon, 15 May 2006 =20
22:32:21 +0000):

> On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 07:55:33PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> > I'd appreciate any feedback you may have. This is just one half of the
>> > project; the other half will involve updating the kernel to include
>> > more data in the dump output. I'm thinking, specifically, adding
>> > KTR_STAT for stat() results and KTR_SOCKADDR for connect(), bind()
>> > arguments, and accept() results.
>>
>> Because lack of time David isn't able to work further on this.
>>
>> Shall we commit the code as is and change the entry on the ideas page
>> to read this thread and implement the suggested changes?
>>
>> Or shall we just change the ideas page and wait until someone picks
>> this up and makes the changes, before we commit this?
>
> I have to say this: "Anything ktrace can do, DTrace can do better!".

I agree, and I'm awaiting the arrival of it in the tree. Unless then, =20
ktrace is the tool of choice. And even when dtrace hits the tree, alot =20
of people will still use ktrace for a quick look at the problem. So =20
why not polish it a little bit for the easy stuff and let people use =20
dtrace for the hard stuff?

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
http://www.Leidinger.net  Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org     netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137
            I sense millions of minds focused on my cleavage.
=09=09=09=09=09-- Troi