Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 12:19:49 -0700
From:      Fred Condo <fred@condo.chico.ca.us>
To:        Jeremy <thinker5555@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bootup freeze when trying to start sendmail

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 03:12:12PM -0500, Jeremy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to get ppp working, so I followed the examples set out by the
> Handbook, the FAQ, and also a place called "FreeBSD Cheat Sheets".  In doing
> so, I set the sendmail daemon to start up when I boot.  Unfortunately I
> must've had my mind elsewhere because I don't currently have sendmail
> installed (as far as I know) and so when it gets to trying to start up
> sendmail, the system freezes.  What can I do to remedy this problem?  I've
> tried to mount my FreeBSD / from Linux in order to change my rc.conf to fix
> the problem, but unfortunately I've found it impossible to do so.  (I'm still
> very new at all of this)

By default, you do have sendmail, unless you specifcally disable it in
/etc/rc.conf. The hang is likely due to sendmail being unable to look
up its hostname. It will eventually time out. Make sure your hostname
is listed properly in /etc/hosts, or turn sendmail off if you don't
need it running as a daemon.