Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:04:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      "David Kelly" <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        <mikegoe@earthlink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with rc.conf error, read-only file system

> I've been away from FreeBSD for a while and I just loaded 5.3 and
> inavertently made an error in rc.conf.  Now when I boot up the file
> system is read-only and I haven't been able to edit rc.conf to correct
> the simple mistake.  Any help would be appreciated.

"mount -a" to attempt mounting all filesystems. Use "fsck -y" on the ones
mount refuses to do. These days "background fsck" usually applies
automatically meanwhile one gets to use the filesystems instantly.

Just for fun you can type "mount" by itself at any time to list mounted
filesystems and some interesting properties such as R/W and softupdates.

Manually you could remount root with "mount /" to make it R/W. Then "mount
/usr" so as to have vi, which will complain (but still function) about
/var not being mounted and therefore no backup copy for crash recovery.

Use "exit" to resume multiuser boot out of single user.