Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:15:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Sylvain=20DAHAN?= <spakon@yahoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ethernet configuration

Hi

3 weeks ago, I set up a bridge with FreeBSD 4.1
RELEASE on a Pentium II. Every things worked fine
until yesterday.

The bridge have two ethernet cards

# ifconfig
xl0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,
  SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
  inet 10.2.11.65 netmask 0xffff0000
ep0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,
  SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
  inet 10.2.12.99 netmask 0xffff0000

From the network connected to the xl0 card, I can ping
ep0 and xl0 but not the other network. From the
network connected to ep0 I can't ping nothing.

From the bridge, I can ping the xl0 card, but not the
ep0 one

# ping 10.2.12.99
PING 10.2.12.99 (10.2.12.99): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Host is down
^C

but netstat show some activities on ep0, this is why I
tried to ping a computer on the ep0 network and the
packets are send in the good network, but no reply are
detected

-tty0
#ping -f -c50 10.2.10.21
50 packets transmitted, 0 packets received

-tty1
# netstat -I ep0 -w 5
        input           (ep0)           output
packets    errs   bytes     packets   errs      bytes
  283        0     20554         0       0          0
  213        0     14137        53       0       5124

-tty2
# netstat -I xl0 -w 5
        input           (xl0)           output
packets    errs   bytes     packets   errs      bytes
    2        0       120       235       0      15624
   11        0       660       247       0      16528

The bridge running apache and samba. httpd and smbd
work fine (on the network connected to the xl0 card),
but I have some problems with the browsing (the master
is on the ep0 side).

I have seen another modification, before it took less
than 1 second to initialise a telnet connection, now
it take more than 20 seconds.

Last things, netstat is really slow (two at three
minutes) to show the state of the active internet
connections ("netstat" without argument).

Do you have a clue ?

Cheers

Sylvain