Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:53:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Relaying with sendmail

Hi all;

I have a FreeBSD 3.2 machine that wears many hats... Among other things,
this machine does web, file, and mail hosting for outside clients (i.e.,
clients on other networks).  Sendmail is giving me some problems, though.

I've searched the mailing list archives (and my own fairly extensive
archives)... And sendmail.org... But I never did find a good way to do
what I'm looking for.

Basically, this machine is a mail host.  My clients receive, or can
purchase, email accounts, something like name@sasknow.com.  I also do
virtual hosting, so they may have their name@theirdomain.com.  However, I
am having the old problem with relaying :-)

I have created an /etc/mail/relay-domains file with entries for the other
machines on the local subnet.  (Actually, I just added the line "10." to
allow the entire subnet).

I understand that, to curb spam abuse, relaying should NOT be configured
"wide open"... However, how else can I ensure that clients with SMPT
access not be denied relaying when sending messages out?

If it IS indeed necessary to configure sendmail wide open (promiscuous
feature), what would be the best way to implement this so that I can still
block troublesome domains?  I looked at the documentation for
/etc/mail/access, but it seemed a bit sketchy.... And I'm not even sure if
it's possible to configure sendmail to accept from all and deny from some
using the access method.

Thanks for any help

- Ryan