Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:18:55 -0400
From:      "ROTHENBERG, MICHAEL" <MROTHENBERG@exchange1.PRIA.com>
To:        'Rick Hamell' <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD-questions' <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How can I boot directly into KDE?

/etc/profile (might have the exact file wrong) is read first and only once.
Usually .login/.profile as your login continues. The user files,
.cshrc/.shrc/.*rc depending on the shell, are read for every shell that is
started unless otherwise specified.

The book: Unix Shells By Example has a great set of diagrams explaining the
subtle differences between c shell, borne and korn shells and what files get
read when...

FYI, I made an error when trying to get KDE to start as login prompt and
ended up being stuk in X login screen. The secret kill keys didn't work nor
could I actually log in. It was interesting and then I had to hard reboot
without shutting down. That was not fun. After entering single user mode and
fixing the problem along with the other things that happen when power is
abruptly stopped I chose not to have a window login just to be safe.

-Michael the Unix newbie