Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 23:44:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Denton <buff@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Beginning questions about PAO and things not working

Hi,

I acquired a NEC Versa 2000D (a 486 with 20 megs of RAM) a little while
and decided to put FreeBSD on it.  I've been using Linux for about four
years now but am getting disenchanted with it.  All my cow orkers used
FreeBSD, so I installed it on my machine there and I think it's great.  I
wanted to get it on this laptop, too.

So, I downloaded the latest PAO install floppies (3.1-RELEASE) from the
Japanese site and booted up with them.  It recognized my 3Com Megahertz
3C589E (3CXE589ET, actually, an X-Jack thing) just fine and I was able to
get everything in place.

However, when I rebooted into the normal system, I couldn't get the
ethernet card to pass packets.  I could ifconfig it, add routes and ping
it, but I couldn't ping past it.  I couldn't figure out why not and
neither could a couple of other people at work.

I decided to bring the thing home and see if I could get the system
updated by regular modem.  It wouldn't recognize my modem card, but that's
because sio3 isn't configured in the kernel.  I hooked up a regular modem
to the serial port and cvsupped the latest ports and source.

However, a make buildworld fails and I can't compile a new (old) kernel,
either.  buildworld dies while making kdump (warnings and errors about
redefinitions and undeclared identifiers), and the kernel dies on ioconf.c
with a complaint about IO_YEFDC.

Now, when I did the install, I pulled down the latest 3.1-STABLE from an
FTP site.  My two PCMCIA cards are both supported by regular FreeBSD, as
far as I know, so I don't seem to need PAO.  I'm running the PAO kernel
right now, but that's because I haven't been able to do my own.  Should I
have installed the 3.1-RELEASE source?  Did I mix up some things that
shouldn't be mixed?

I don't mind doing a reinstall, whether on the LAN at work or over an
external modem at home.  If that'd be the best thing to do, please say so.
Or, if you can see something obviously wrong with how I've done things so
far, I'd love to hear it.  I'm a little confused about how PAO relates,
whether I really need it, and so on.  I poked through the last year or so
of archives and couldn't figure this out from the PAO talk I saw.

Bill
--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : http://www.vex.net/~buff/ : Caveat lector.