Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 13:16:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>, Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DDS-2/DDS-3 drives

On Friday,  9 April 1999 at 23:40:23 -0400, Dan Janowski wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Joerg Micheel wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> [this might as well belong to -questions]:
>>
>> For some project people here are interested to own a DDS tape drive. I do have
>> no experience with these drives and would be interested in any stories you
>> may have to tell about how reliable they are, how well they work with
>> FreeBSD (or other OS: Solaris, Linux), what tapes may cause trouble etc.
>> You may respond privately, unless it is of general interest.
>
> Aaah, DAT. I've had some mixed experience. Right now I have a
> Seagate da0: <SEAGATE ST39173W 4290>. It is a DDS-3 drive.
> I had an HP, it went bad. I had an identical Seagate, it went bad.
> The real problem seems to be the tape, not the drives.

I can't agree here.  I've almost never had trouble with the tapes, but
once the drives went bad, they couldn't write any tape, old or new.

> On good authority the recommendation is Maxell tape above all
> others, Sony, HP, etc. To DDS-3 media the drive will sustain about
> 1MB/sec native, with a 12GB native capacity.

I've had, on very good authority (the tape expert at SNI), the
recommendation Sony above all others, admittedly for Exabyte.  Sony
manufactures the Exabyte brand tapes.

> The failures I had with previous drives seemed to be related to some
> bad HP tapes. A bad tape can damage heads. The busted HP drive could
> read tapes but not write them.

That's not a typical failure mode.  Typically the heads just wear.
Sure, a bad tape can damage heads, but so can good ones.

> FreeBSD deals very well with DAT, and when there are problems it tells
> you. As with any tape drive, my recommendation is to buy it from a
> company that will be there when it breaks.

I don't know if that helps much.  I've had *very* bad experience with
repairs to helical scan tapes.  I tend to buy from the cheapest place,
because when they fail they're not worth repairing.

Greg