Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:11:26 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        zbigniew szalbot <zbigniew@szalbot.homedns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var growing too fast

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 07:09:01AM +0100, zbigniew szalbot wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I thought I would ask your advice. I only have a 2 GB /var slice and
> space is shrinking fast. I see that most space is taken by /var/db.
>
> $ du -hs /var/db
> 1.4G    /var/db
>
> $  du -hs /var
> 1.7G    /var
>
> $ df
> /dev/ad0s1e   2178510 1738396  265834    87%    /var
>
> Is it possible to release some space from /var/db? I seem to recall that
> /var/db is pretty important and I better not lose it...

Yes, if you are running some database, it can grow fast.

Do you have a large, catch-all, partition, such as /home?
If go, move /var/db to and make a symlink.

You should be able to copy it all with tar.
Pick a make-sense name for the directory in the new directory such as 'var.db'

Then, in the original /var directory, rename db temporarily - mv db olddb
for example and make the link.    ln -s /home/var.db db   (presuming that
you put it in /home)
If it all seems good, then rm the olddb and all should be well.

////jerry