Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 18:03:17 -0400
From:      Sys Admin <abeaupre@chemcomp.com>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, beaupran@iro.umontreal.ca
Subject:   Re: Display the time on ttyv7

Ben Smithurst wrote:

> Sys Admin wrote:
>
> > In a rather naive attempt, I tried to make a handy clock always
> > available on ttyv7. I've put the following line in /etc/ttys:
> >
> > ttyv7 "/usr/gamges/grdc" cons25 on secure
>               ^^^^^^
>
> > It did not work. The tty was simply not accessible, giving me a nice
> > -beep!- when I tried Alt-F8.
>
> If that typo was present in /etc/ttys I'm not surprised. :-)

He... It was not. :)

> OTOH,  I've just tried it myself and it looks as if the terminal isn't > being opened
> on FDs 0, 1 and 2.  I think getty does that itself.  (You did send
> SIGHUP to init, didn't you?  I don't think it would work anyway.)

Yep. Not working. It's really the getty job to do this, as I understand
this...

> If you can't get it to work, try the attached program, which can
> run a specified program on a specified tty (e.g. 'runontty ttyv7
> /usr/games/grdc' could go in /etc/rc.local).  This has the
> disadvantage  that the clock won't get restarted if it dies, as it > would with
> /etc/ttys, but you can't have everything.  You could always run a
> cronjob to restart it if it dies, but I don't see why it would die
> anyway.  Another method would be to write a wrapper around grdc which
> opened the TTY appropriately.

Thanks! But, on the first look, it's not working very well
("iotctl(TIOSCTTY): Operation not permitted"), but this is probably do
to the fact that I run this thing in securelevel 3. (!)

Anyways, thanks for the advice. Right now, I'm logging in a terminal and
exec the prog at boot time.

CU

A.