Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:41:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "brian K. White" <brian@aljex.ocm>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/44318: icemc port changed to use qt3, now it writes 0 byte file and crashes when saving

>Number:         44318
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       icemc port changed to use qt3, now it writes 0 byte file and crashes when saving
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD amdemon 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #5: Sat Oct 12 02:18:21 EDT 2002     root@amdemon:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AMDEMON  i386

      icemc was working fine, I used it all the time to edit my icewm menu in my home dir. then after a recent cvsup of my ports tree, the icemc port was changed to use qt3.0 instead of qt2.3. the qt23 make deinstall went without incident, (I only had qcad using it, which I don't mind dealing with later), the qt30 make install went without incident, the icemc make deinstall / make install went without incident. the new icemc runs fine right up untill you try to save the menu file. then it writes a zero-byte file _erasing your menu file!!!_ and exits non-gracefully. it leaves a core file.
The last few lines of strace -eall icemc are:

access("/root/.icewm/menu", F_OK)       = 0
access("/root/.icewm/menu", W_OK)       = 0
lstat("/root/.icewm/menu", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=0, ...}) = 0
access("/root/.icewm", W_OK)            = 0
lstat("/root/.icewm", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=512, ...}) = 0
access("/root/.icewm/menu", F_OK)       = 0
open("/root/.icewm/menu", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 0666) = 8
fcntl(8, F_GETFL)                       = 0x1 (flags O_WRONLY)
fcntl(8, F_SETFL, O_WRONLY|O_NONBLOCK)  = 0
fstat(8, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=0, ...}) = 0
break(0xfa84d000)                       = -1 ENOMEM (Cannot allocate memory)
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) ---
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) ---

>How-To-Repeat:
      make install qt30 and icemc from ports, be in X, run icemc, file --> save or 'save as', boom. a 0-byte file is created and icemc exits. if you had first opened an existing file, it is overwritted with 0 bytes. Ouch!