Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:33:16 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Narrow SCSI controllers, and using WIDE drives with them

> Dan Strick writes:
> > It ought to work by default.  If not, you may be able to tell the
> > host adapter via its BIOS interface to only do narrow transfers
> > with specific SCSI devices.
>
> That's sorta hard to do with a narrow controller as all I've seen are
> not capable of wide negotiations therefore its not an option.
>
> My 2940 (narrow with the 7860 chipset and BIOS 1.21) didn't like a wide
> drive that was attached.

Having started this debate, I'd like to say that I'm buying an Ultra-Wide
controller (NCR-875) to go with the NCR-810 which has the narrow devices on
it. I've been offered the use of an IBM 4.3GB UW drive from work. I have to
boot out a PCI ethernet card, but as the box in question isn't going to be
hooked up to a home 100Mbit network in the immediate future, it's not a
problem. From what people have been saying, it seems like a lot of grief is
involved in mxing wide & narrow devices on the same bus.

	Stephen