Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 1995 09:26:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      "William A. Arbaugh" <waa@aurora.cis.upenn.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ld problems with 0322 SNAP

I've been tracing a problem down with the latest SNAP that happens when
using S/Key.  keyinit gives the following error and login does as well
when S/Key is used:

ld.so: Undefined symbol "_MD4Init" called from
keyinit:/usr/lib/libskey.so.2.0 at 0x801e220

I have the 02 SNAP still running on another machine and so I compiled
keyinit on both and looked at the symbol lists.  Under the 02 SNAP md4c.0
and all of the MD4 symbols are linked into the image.  Under the latest
SNAP none of the MD4 symbols are there.  Here's what I think (I'm not a
linker guru) is happening.  The MD4 library is not shared while all of
the others are.  For some reason ld is ignoring the fact there isn't a
MD4 shared version and not linking in the static symbols.  I confirmed
this by moving the 02SNAP ld over and recompiling keyinit/login, and both
had the MD4 symbols (and worked).

			bill

Bill Arbaugh
email:  waa@aurora.cis.upenn.edu