Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 10:06:32 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Booth, Christopher" <christopher_booth@mcgraw-hill.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IIJPPP & FreeBSD 3.1

> Greetings, FreeBSDers:
>
> I used to be able to access the Internet and Web from FreeBSD 2.2.6 with no
> problem. Since upgrading to 3.1 I have been unable to connect to my new ISP,
> from the same hardware. I have a dynamic account on a lone, single-user P133
> with an internal modem.
>
> I am able to dial up, but not packets get passed. After a short while,
> usually about 20 seconds I get disconnected. The ppp never changes to PPP
> and I get the message
>
>      Warning: Chat script failed
>
> In the /var/log/ppp.log very little seems useful, but the example of the log
> instructions given in _The Complete FreeBSD_, /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.sample, _The
> PedanticPPP_, etc., etc., causes PPP to fail entirely. [I mean the line that
> says
>
>      set log Phase Chat Connect LCP tun command

This works fine for me....

> ; I can't get PPP to do anything unless this line is commented out.]
>
> So far this error message seems to most useful:
>
>      ifconfig ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Destination address required

And where is the error message coming from ?  You shouldn't be
running ifconfig on the tun interface.

> When I tried connecting via the PPP tool in KDE, which I have been
> exploring, I found a similar message in the log.
>
> When I tried to use PPP and log on using term, was flooded by a message
> saying
>
>      /kernel: sio2: 1 more silo overflow (total n)
>
> , which I don't understand at all.

This is usually due to bad hardware.... perhaps your modems IRQ isn't
being assigned ?

> It looks to me like I am not communicating with my modem: sio2/cuaa2 is
> working, but ping, netstat -rn, route, etc., tell me
>
>      no route to host

What does your ppp.conf say ?

> Could anyone help me out with this? I certainly would appreciate being able
> to go on to a more interesting problem (and one less embarrassing than
> simply connecting to my ISP), to say nothing of being able to read my email
> at home, and maybe do a little websurfing....
>
> TIA!

I think your best bet is to post a copy of your ppp.conf etc, and
*exactly* what the problem is when you try to enable logging.

You may also want to take a look at

  http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/userppp.html

> Ciao,
>
> Chris Booth
> aixx.net
>

> p.s.: I don't know if this is relevant or not; my new ISP requires only
> username, which I need to send, and then password, which the ISP prompts me
> for with
>
>      password:
>
> then the ISP sends "Entering PPP", which is followed by the usual
> gobbeldygook. I have tried using "set openmode active", but with no
> discernable result.

And you've adjusted your login script accordingly ?

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>