Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:05:24 -0400
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help me win the MS-Proxy/ipfw war

Any advice to a small-time network admin for a small (32 employees) company
that is stuck in the MS_WAY = ONLY_WAY mindset?  We are overdue for a
firewall but the PHB wants NT/MS-Proxy installed, while I'm arguing for
FreeBSD/ipfw instead.  We already have a FreeBSD server managing various
tasks (and has done them VERY well, and doesn't crash), so this isn't
totally new (ipfw is but I've got books on order and will be reading up).

THEY (everyone but me) want MS Proxy because we're a MCSP and they want us
to use what we're going to sell, so that we're familiar with it (the
suggestion that we use FreeBSD/ipfw and sell that too seems to have fallen
on deaf ears).  Of course, the fact is that no one actually spends time on
this stuff other than me anyway, even though it's set up with the intent
that all techs can learn from what we have installed in-house.  That
argument, too, seems to not be working.  Nor the vast difference in
hardware requirements (what would you consider the recommended hardware for
a FreeBSD firewall gateway to a 128K ISDN link?).  Cost of the actual
software is $0 in either event, as we get to use MS software for free due
to our MCSP status.

I need help, as it's me against the masses and I seem to be unable to win
them over.  The best I've managed is to keep them from making the final
decision (only reason we don't have a firewall already).  I'm also faced
with them wanting to move ALL mail services to the Exchange server (right
now only internal Exchange mail gets handled by it, and it routes all
internet mail through the FreeBSD box.  The Exchange server itself is
blocked from the internet at the router) as well as move our website from
FreeBSD/Apache to NT/IIS (UGH!).

I wish there were more advocates on my side working here to back me up, but
alas, we are small, and it's just me, and the boss is in bed with MS it
seems.  We have some networking techs who do stuff for customers, and
they're against me because 1) MS software failures give them a daily source
of billable hours, and 2) they resent the FreeBSD server because it makes
them look bad, never crashing, while their NT servers need constant
attention/reboots.

Thanks in advance.