Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 08:55:55 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Separate boot partition?

I personally HATE HPs software installation and management system.

Its ok for a stand-alone system.  It BITES when you're trying to distribute
updates and changes.

One thing good about FreeBSD - you can rationally have one "master" machine
and do the rest of them (from a software perspective) on a network with
"rdist" and friends.  This is dangerous on HP and other "embedded boot"
types of machines, because its not difficult at all to run into a situation
where you can't boot the machine any longer (I've had it happen).

I STRONGLY dislike "hidden" configuration and operating system components
which make it difficult to be certain that what you're doing is going to
work.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: fathers.denninger.net
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.