Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:03:43 -0400
From:      PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
To:        Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GEOM label clarification

Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> PJ wrote:
>
>> NOW THIS SUCKS.
>>
>> SUM
>>
>> # glabel label rootfs/dev/ad12s1a
>> glabel: Can't store metadata on /dev/ad12s1a: Operation not permitted
>>
>> This is direct from the manual.... what the "<$#*(@)! is going on?
>> No identical post on web, but similar say to ignore: "it's harmless?"
>>
>> I so, why is it there?
>>
>> There seem to be quite a lot of these kinds of stumbling blocks that are
>> just plalin annoying...
>>
>> Is this an annoyance or what for the above situation?
>>

> Is this your normal '/' filesystem, and is it mounted?
> If it is reboot your system and select 'single user mode' from the
> loader.menu
> Then use glabel in the single user mode prompt.
> This will not work if you just 'shutdown now', you have to reboot into
> single user mode.
>
> If it is not your real '/' at the moment, and it is not mounted, you
> should be able to do it.
> Booting from the fixit LiveCD will also work in any case.

I appreciate your holding my hand as I will otherwise fall on my ass....
or off my donkey... whatever... I need a big stiff drink...it's been a
heady week...
I already tried, screwed up the fstab, fixed it and booted up just fine.
Don't want to screw it up again. See my bithing in another post...
you'll understand how reading the manuals and man pages can be
depressing. Shit, shit, shit.