Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:34:03 -0600
From:      Chance Daryl SrA AMC CSS/SAS <DARYL.CHANCE@SCOTT.AF.MIL>
To:        "'freebsd-net'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: FW: bad link ppp

> Tricky.... there could be lots of things wrong.  The most common
> things are problably one of the following
>
> o  The modem is a winmodem (can't be fixed as it's not a *real*
>    modem).
> o  You've got the wrong irq (need to boot with -c and fix it)
> o  You've got the wrong i/o address (use another com port)
> o  You've got a PnP modem (ensure you haven't set the BIOS to PnP os,
>    otherwise boot -v to find the PnP id and file a bug report).
> o  Something else.... dunno.  I usually avoid answering this sort of
>    question :-/

well, i know for sure the modem isn't a winmodem...but it can be plug
and play (it's not setup for it atm, setup on com2).  As for the irq,
that could be it as i haven't checked that out.

If I try it again, i'll check the irq and the com port as well as
the dmesg output.  when you say -c, do you mean when it gives the
"kernel will boot in 9seconds or hit enter to boot immediately" message?

I've been using freebsd for about 1-2 months now and am just starting to get
into the interesting things of it...caching only dns, firewalls, port
aliasing,
and dhcp....will soon tackle the kernel though, and from there...who knows.

Thanks again for the help.  I think i'm going to base a(yet another
of the many) how-to off my experience with ppp and the caching only
dns.  :).  If anyone would like to proof-read it and/or
offer up any ideas, i'd appreciate it.  I know theres a lot
of how-to's, but it only takes that one thats worded just right for
someone to go "DOH!  Thats what they meant in the other tutorials".
thats how it was with me and the dns server yesterday :).

Ok, done rambling.

thanks,
<- SrA Daryl Chance  - A programmer is someone who solves a    ->
<- USAF AMC CSS/SASR - problem you didn't know you had in a    ->
<- RAD Programmer    - way you don't understand.               ->
<- (618) 256-5225    -                - ?????                  ->