Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 22:13:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        tomppa@fidata.fi
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI woes.

As Tomi Vainio wrote:

>  > > Is it possible to boot off a SCSI hard drive when an IDE is also in
>  > the system?

>  > Give it the ``hd(1,a)/kernel'' argument at the boot prompt.
>  >
> What should I do to make this automatic?

The newer /sys/i386/boot/biosboot/Makefile contains this comment:

# Assume hd(*,a) instead of wd(*,a) if the boot seems to happen from
# a hard disk.
# This can be useful for people booting in a mixed IDE/SCSI environment.
#CFLAGS+=       -DBOOT_HD

You gotta ``make clean obj all install'' there after munging the
CFLAGS, and you have to re-label your disks to install the new
bootstrap.  Sadly enough, all versions of disklabel(8) before this
one:

-----
revision 1.8
date: 1996/02/03 21:14:09;  author: joerg;  state: Exp;  lines: +27 -0
Try to preserve the fdisk table in the primary bootstrap, should it
already exist.

Mention the cases where this doesn't work in the BUGS section of the
man page.
-----

...will clobber your fdisk table, so you either have to pick a recent
disklabel(8), or you must write down the figures from the fdisk table,
and manually correct the bogusly installed one later.

--
cheers, J"org