Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:52:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      Cleto Pescia <cleto@eurisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Out of swap space on FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE

Hello,

Yesterday I ran into a strange problem on a moderately loaded FreeBSD
4.3R mail server (about 5K messages / week). I suddendly got the following
error message:

Dec 18 16:48:55 mailhost /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
Dec 18 16:48:55 mailhost /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed

And then I had no other option than to press the hardware Reset button.
There was no way to access the machine.
After rebooting the server went on to work as before, without any further
problems.
The machine is an IDE-based Pentium 200MHz with sendmail 8.11 / qpopper
2.53, and at the time of the crash had an uptime of about 150 days.
The swap partition is 132 MB.
I'm rather clueless about where to look to find the cause for the crash...
I found no *.core files.
Any idea?

-- Cleto