Date:      Mon, 02 Dec 2002 17:23:48 +0100
From:      Dmitry Karasik <dmitry@karasik.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmware questions

Hello,

I've been trying to run vmware2 port, but all unsuccessful.
The problems are numerous, and I simply don't know where to
start from. Worse, none of these are in vmware FAQs, and I am
curious, because I know that many run it of FreeBSD.

So, the list of my gravest issues :

 - Raw disk type ( neither /dev/ad0 nor /linux/dev/hda ) is not
recognized,
   and vmware refuses to start when one is present.

 - Boot process from win95 diskette hangs shortly after displaying
   'Starting Windows...' message

 - Complaints that mouse is not recognized from X ( tries several types,
to no awail ).

 - Complaints about inaccessibility of /dev/rtc ( which is nevertheless
present in /linux/dev )

I tries to start the latest vmware ( version 3.2 ), but even the
configure script does
not work ... To my amusement, commands

   uname -s

and

   perl -le 'system q(uname -s)'

produce different results - the first prints Linux, and the second
FreeBSD ( funny that
perl -le 'print $^O' print linux ), so I gave up.

Anyway, it would be very helpful if you share your ideas and knowledge,
because, as
I said, I have no idea where to find the clues.

Please help,
   Dmitry Karasik