Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:53:58 +0100
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'Marius'" <MBKING0@VM.SC.EDU>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Swap space in mfs? (was: vinval buf: dirty bufs)

Hi Marius,

I had a look at that URL, I guess you are referring to the bit that I
attached at the end. I think you may have the wrong end of the stick, but I
also think the wording here is not very clear.

What it really means is that if you have loads of (real) swap space, ie. on
a the hard disk, you can take advantage of some of that hard disk space by
creating an mfs. In effect, anything you write to the mfs will quite quickly
get swapped out onto the real hard disk swap partition, taking advantage of
the large swap partition to store files.

I think you have the exact opposite to what is suggested here, i.e. you have
your swap space inside an mfs, where you should have the mfs inside the swap
space!

Hope this helps,

Jeff

<snipped from http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html>;

options MFS
Memory-mapped file system. This is basically a RAM disk for fast storage of
temporary files, useful if you have a lot of swap space that you want to
take advantage of. A perfect place to mount an MFS partition is on the /tmp
directory, since many programs store temporary data here. To mount an MFS
RAM disk on /tmp, add the following line to /etc/fstab and then reboot or
type mount /tmp:

    /dev/wd1s2b   /tmp mfs rw 0 0

Note: Replace the /dev/wd1s2b with the name of your swap partition, which
will be listed in your /etc/fstab as follows:

    /dev/wd1s2b none swap sw 0 0

Note: Also, the MFS filesystem can not be dynamically loaded, so you must
compile it into your kernel if you want to experiment with it.