Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 17:40:35 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Joe Schwartz <rjoe@sierrahill.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file system size

Joe Schwartz wrote:

> Folks,
>
> When installing FreeBSD 3.1:
>
> Is there a limit of 1024 Mb on the first partition?

I've only done this on SCSI (via an Adaptec 2940) - where it worked, I guess
for IDE it might be different (maybe someone else will know?)

> What is the maximum partition size?  I need to make
> large file systems for e-mail and web caching. I have
> a couple of 9Gb disks ... can I have 9Gb partitions?

Yes, easily... I've used partitions up to around 40Gb, but I wouldn't recomend
making them too large with no good reason, as they take ages to fsck (i.e.
check) if the system goes down/panics while busy... (And they can take quite a
bit of memory/swap space to run fsck on as well!)

> If I cannot have files systems beyond 2 Gb, is there a
> way to concatinate them together.

You could concatenate your _drives_ together if you want?!, then have an 18Gb
partition that spanned both... (Not good from a fault tolerance point of view
though). If your using 3.1 look at either CCD or Vinum for concatenating them
(or even mirroring them for fault tolerance)...

[CCD is more tested, but Vinum is 'better' - but not completed/tested as much
yet... If it were me I'd see if I could get on with Vinum first, then go to
CCD if you can't :-) (man vinum, man ccd].

Regards,

Karl