Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2013 19:49:57 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se>
Subject:   Re: KDE3 apps replacements?

from Per olof Ljungmark:

> I am finally in the process of removing KDE3 completely, switched to
> Xfce some time ago, and wonder if any of you could recommend suitable
> replacements for some of the apps:

> kpdf            pdf viewer with the ability to copy text from
> kWrite          simple text editor with some filetype and highlighting
>                 features + easy to switch encoding (vim/gvim?)
> kPatience       Card game, Freecell in particular
> kColorChooser   pick html color names
> kRuler          Pixel screen ruler
> kSnapshot       Screen dump to jpg and/or png

I use xpdf, found it much better than kpdf but that was some years ago when I used KDE in Slackware Linux.

I see there are other open-source pdf viewers.

System Rescue CD uses epdfview.

I didn't like kWrite or kspread (spreadsheet that came with KDE).

Abiword is much better than kWrite, and gnumeric is much better than the spreadsheet that came with KDE.

I am not familiar with the other KDE apps.

Tom