Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:54:19 -0500
From:      <jayyness@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mass Renaming of Files

I did ask this question another place and was basically told that this was a somewhat hard to accomplish (and possibly dangerous) process when doing mass renaming of files and folders.

Thought I would ask here, though, to see if any of you had any experience in this type of thing and found a simpler solution.

I am trying to parse directories and files into lists, but I am running into a lot of issues because there are spaces in directory names and file names.

Do any of you know of a script that could be written or possibly existst that would search for and replace spaces with underscores?

I would need to do this across about 300 directories with about 30gigs worth of files (no idea of actual number of files).