Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 04:39:28 +0100
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?B?TWFya3VzIEhhbGxzdHL2bQ==?= <tubbs@home.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arplookup failed

> Feb  8 15:00:02 xfarm /kernel: arplookup 213.89.36.1 failed: host is not on
> local network
> Feb  8 15:00:02 xfarm /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for
> 213.89.36.1rt
> (repeated over and over again)

<guess type="uneducated">
I had these messages once when the routing table of a machine was messed
up, probably due to misconfiguration on our part. It could not find the
default gateway in the routing table and was unable to talk to machines
not on the local network.

I have the feeling this is not a hardware error but rather a problem in
your interface's settings or routing table.

The first error could be a complaint from the kernel that the machine
with IP address 213.89.36.1 should be on the local network, but according
to the interface's IP-address or netmask settings it isn't. So, as far as
your kernel is concerned, the default gateway is not reachable, which
causes error two.

Do your ethernet settings match the values specified by your provider? Do
these problems occur intermittently? Maybe your machine isn't able to get
a DHCP lease now and then. If your provider gives you semi-static IP
addresses with DHCP, try configuring the interface manually and see if it
happens.
</guess>

Re-reading my message I see I haven't been of much help. Sorry for that.
An output of "netstat -nr" and "ifconfig -a" would help the list in
helping you out.

walter

--
I DON'T CARE WHERE, JUST FAR