Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:22:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@comcast.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building Linux binaries under FreeBSD/Linux layer

I know this is probably going to be an odd question, but is there a way to
create true "linux" shell within FreeBSD, capable of running linux gcc and
creating a linux binary?

I want to play with Midori Linux, which involves compiling a lot of Linux
source, for Linux. Dual booting is out of the question (my FreeBSD box
runs the home automation system). I suspect it *could* be done with a
carefully configured shell, and a bunch of Linux RPM's installed to
support gcc and the assorted libraries.

Is this possible, and if so, has pulled a stunt like this?

If not, how well does VMware run under FreeBSD, and can you ssh into the
virtual machine once it's up?

Thanks,
Seth Henry