Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 00:11:15 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Andy Novick <anovick@vnc.lawrence.ks.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw and natd

> I recently switched from Linux to FreeBSD as my firewall of choice.
> However I have been having some problems when trying to masquerade just
> one machine on my local area network.  The only way it seems to work is
> if I divert from everything to everything.  However this ended up
> causing problems with windows 95 machine's netbioses at my ISP.  (I have
> a cable modem, so we are just one big network)  I want to make it so I
> am only masquerading my one machine.  I have the following set up:
>
> Windows95 PC (box we are masquerading) IP 192.168.2.2
> FreeBSD PC (firewall) LAN IP= 192.168.2.3 INET IP= 24.124.35.52 ethernet
> device= ed0
>
> The following does its job with masquerading, but causes the problems
> with my ISP:
>
> natd -port 32000 -interface ed0
> ipfw add divert 32000 ip from any to any via ed0
> ipfw add allow ip from any to any
>
> All other setups I have tried such as diverting only from 192.168.2.2 to
> any has not worked.  I would appreciate your insight.

Heh, I knew someone would notice this eventually :-(  I've been
meaning to fix it.

Currently, natd mangles broadcast addresses a bit.... I'm not sure to
what extent 'cos I haven't got a test bed at the moment (my
subnet-subnet routing machine literally blew up a while ago).

I suspect it's just a case of having natd be a bit careful about what
it passes to libalias - or maybe it's a problem within libalias
itself.... dunno (yet).

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;