Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:30:38 -0600
From:      "Aaron" <security@adtu.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   help understanding hostname cofig

Hello,

I need a little help understanding how I should configure the hostname in
our application. I am trying to install snort from a "how-to" on the snort
website. It uses mysql,acid,apache and snort with the OS being freebsd 4.6.

It looks very straight forward to follow, but another tech and I cannot seem
to understand what we are doing wrong. We don't have a DNS server on
site.The plan is to put the snort box between the internet firewall and the
LAN. The firewall is also the dhcp server. So exactly what do we want to put
for a qualified domain name??  The plan is to put the snort box between the
internet firewall and the LAN. The firewall is also the dhcp server.
Problem is that the OS says it cannot resolve the hostname. Similar problems
come later with mysql.....

I have looked at several lists and books on the subject but not turning up a
lot of information related to my problem.
I know this can't be that hard. We would appreciate any guidance.

Thank you,
Aaron