Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 17:57:14 +1000
From:      Tony Griffiths <tonyg@OntheNet.com.au>
To:        "Marks, Maurice" <Maurice.Marks@compaq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 CD booting - cant find init on XP1000

"Marks, Maurice" wrote:

> I'm having trouble booting the 4.0 CD on an XP1000. The same CD boots fine
> and installed FreeBSD on a Miata and a DS10. I'm seeing the "cant find init"
> failure that Dirk Kleinhesselink reported in March on a PC164. The XP1000
> has 512MB of memory, 4 SCSI devices on the internal controller. Toshiba IDE
> CDROM. Everything looks normal in the boot process until the kernel tries to
> mount root on /dev/md0c, finds that md0 has invalid partition information
> (no magic number) and later finds that it cant locate init.
>
> Any ideas appreciated

Actually this happened to a friend of mine so yesterday I took my
Alphastation 200
to his office and plugged his SCSI disks into it.  Crashed with the
"can't find init"
problem just like his machine was doing.  Replaced the disk and it
worked like a charm!!!

Don't know what it was about the disk that caused the crash.  Perhaps a
hard format
might fix the problem?!

Tony

postmaster@OntheNet.com.au