Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 09:11:24 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PC Magazine Chart Shows FreeBSD as Vulnerable to Attacks

Brett Glass wrote:

> PC Magazine's chart at
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/pclabs/nettools/1708/tools2.html
>
> shows FreeBSD as being vulnerable to some network security attacks which I
> thought had been handled long ago. Is the chart current? If not, it'd be
> appropriate to set them straight.

While FreeBSD faired better than anything else on this chart, it is certainly
wrong.  They claim, for instance, that FreeBSD is susceptible to the "ping of
death," and that FreeBSD is susceptible to UDP-flooding with no workaround.
I'm certain you can use IPFW to filter UDP floods, right?

I'm forwarding this message to the network mail list, so the EXPERTS can
check this out.  Replies have been directed there as well.