Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:30:47 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New install of FreeBSD 4.6 on Compaq Proliant ... problems with NIC?

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 10:24:20AM -0400, Phillip Smith (personal) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm hoping that someone has run across this problem before and therefore
> might have some insight into this unusual technical mystery (to me,
> anyway).
>
> I've recently purchased a Compaq Proliant 1600 server and installed
> FreeBSD 4.6 (release) on it using this document as a reference:
> http://www.geocities.com/rlcomp_1999/freeBSD-CPQ.txt
>
> As the system doesn't have a RAID card, the install was breathtakingly
> simple (as I've become accustomed to with FreeBSD). Everything installed
> as expected and, on reboot, the system booted the kernel and started all
> daemons. A review of the dmesg output shows no issues (I wish I could
> include it, but herein lies the problem).
>
> So, here the issue ...
>
> When I try to connect/ping/whatever an network address, I get the
> message 'host is down'. All settings in the rc.conf are correct, we use
> static IPs and the router address is correct, as is the IP. At first, I
> thought it was an issue with the integrated NIC (although there were no
> errors) and tried inserting a PCI NIC (Asante) into one of the many free
> PCI slots. I rebooted, the new NIC was discovered and configured
> (without error) and appears in dmesg -- no problem. I adjusted rc.conf
> (via /stand/sysinstall) and brought up the interface ... still no
> ability to connect/ping/whatever to another network device.
>
> I'm pretty stumped at the moment. I haven't done a piles of research on
> this issue yet, but I'm thinking that I've overlooked something pretty
> basic. One thought is that I set-up the Compaq using the SmartStart CD
> and indicated that I was setting up a SCO Unix 2.1 OS (as recommended by
> the instructions linked above). Perhaps that has something to do with
> it?
>
> Anyway, I'm relatively comfortable with FreeBSD installation, so I'm
> thinking it's less an installation/software issue than it is a
> hardware/setup issue?
>
> Any thoughts, advice, flames, etc. appreciated.

Does ifconfig show sensible values?  Can you ping 127.1?  Or the NIC's
IP address?  Have you tried the ethernet lead in a different box and/or
a different ethernet lead in this box?

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \