Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 18:09:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org>, Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: /etc/rc.shutdown calls local scripts now

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 05:39:08PM -0500, Jonathan Smith wrote:
> >
> > Then what's the problem?
>
> I think everyone is loosing sight what the "heads up" is really
> about. The problem is going to be that the files in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d now must _pay attention_ to the argument sent to
> them. Right now, many scripts in there do a startup procedure when
> called. (period) This will need to be fixed. There _will_ be some
> pain.

	And what some of us are saying is that the pain is not a
requirement to make this feature work. There are ways to accomplish the
goal that this proposal wants to accomplish without all of the "pain" that
suddenly changing everything around will engender.

	Please don't get me wrong here, I fully support the sysv style
start/stop/status parms for rc scripts. In fact, I have grander plans than
the ones proposed here for the startup scripts in /etc. However, if we
give this plan some more thought we can definitely come up with a solution
that does what we need/want it to do without throwing everything into a
tizzy first.

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire