Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:06:11 -0500
From:      Michael Sinz <msinz@wgate.com>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>, void <float@firedrake.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd and kqueue

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 12:26:22AM -0400, Mike Barcroft wrote:
> > Just to clarify.  This is still a POLA violation.  If a log file is
> > pulled out from underneath syslogd(8), one wouldn't expect it to start
> > logging again, even if the file was re-created.
>
> I disagree, if the file was re-created.
>
> Actually, I find it weird and counter intuitive that syslogd will not
> log to the files in the config file (/etc/syslog.conf) unless they
> already exists.  It really feels like we are living with a programming
> bug 25 years later....
>
> If I didn't want syslogd to log something, I would not have it in
> syslog.conf.

This has bitten a number of support people - a server fills up and they
get a bit too loose with the "rm" command and logging stops.

I actually somewhat understand why syslogd does not open/create the file
using the current syslog.conf syntax - it is hard to descript user/group
ownership and access rights in the syslog.conf.  The thing that syslogd
does is write to the file that already exists such that the access rights
can be controlled externally to the syslogd process.

I really hate this and wish I could change this without suddenly causing
all of us old-timers to surprised.

For me I see two different POLA issues:

	1)  For those who have already understood and used syslog for
	    a long time - syslogd does not create a file...

	2)  For those who have not had much time with syslog - it is
	    rather upsetting to have configured syslog.conf and you
	    either HUP or reboot and yet the logging does not start.

As the world of FreeBSD (and other syslog systems) increases, the
ratio of people is catagory #2 vs #1 will continue to increase.  (Most
people do not spend much time playing with syslogd)

--
Michael Sinz ---- Worldgate Communications ---- msinz@wgate.com
A master's secrets are only as good as