Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:35:54 -0500
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        Catlover1024@aol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

Catlover1024@aol.com wrote:

> I was wondering what copyrights were on FreeBSD and what they were...
> Why I was asking because I wanted to modify the FreeBSD kernel to support
> more things and debug the existing stuff... I wanted to create my own
> distribution...
> Why I wanted to create my own distribution of FreeBSD was because I felt
> there was
> not enough support in the kernel for today's devices. Also it was because I
> felt there were not enough apps in the official distribution I didn't have to
> port over. Don't criticize me on any of this I don't like flames just
> constructive criticism.
>
> Also, I wouldn't have to make my own distribution of FreeBSD if I knew how to
> submit apps and kernel code to be in the official dist. If anyone wants it
> and it's good I mean.
> How would I go about that?

Not itending to give you a rub-off here, but two things you should have
done with this message. First -send it to freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org,
these are generally the people you'd want to talk to regarding
programming/source-commit/etc issues. Generally speaking if you're code
is good, and allows FreeBSD to be extended in functionality to an extent
that others can use the code; they'll accept it. The very worst case
scenario, they don't except it...at least you've got it working for
yourself.
	Secondly, I don't think creating your own release of FreeBSD will at
all solve the problem(s) your facing. Deal with other FreeBSD
developers, and you're more likely to produce better results than trying
to create a whole new dist all by yourself.
	I am not much of a developer myself, in the way of kernel-land stuff. I
do subscribe to hackers@freebsd.org, just for the sake of listening and
lurking. I watch what the other developers ask about, and read the
replies, etc. I hope that by doing so, I will learn more myself. You
however, as it seems should also consider subscribing to this list. If
not to learn more about the way things work with the FreeBSD project,
then to actually contribute to the greater well-being of it.
	In Short, I suggest you re-send this message to
freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, preferably with a more appropriate message
subject; "FreeBSD" is a little vague... almost all messages sent to any
of these lists could use "FreeBSD" as the subject. Typically these
messages get over-looked for something like "Can't get Creative Labs ...
Soundcard to work with 4.1-STABLE". Remember that the people answering
your questions to these lists are in most cases volounteers, (myself
included), spending their time to answer the messages they deem worth
spending their time on. I'm not trying to flame your message here, or
start any type of argument or anything; just suggesting you use a more
appropriate subject next time.
--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com