Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:03:15 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        Rezamys <rezath@tm.net.my>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie: how to compile & run C program in 3.2Release?

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 11:33:07AM +0800, Rezamys wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> Okay, tried it last nite. It was fine. Thanks!
> I did this (very simple program...):
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> int main(void) {
>    printf("hello, world!\n");
>    return 0;
> }
>
> Then I typed: bash$ cc hello.c
>                    bash$ ls
>                    bash$ a.out     hello.c
>
> So rename the a.out file:  cc hello.c -o hello
> Then run it:                    ./hello
> Ouput:                           "hello, world!"

Excellent :)

> I haven't tried using gcc before.  Will this GNU C Compiler work?
> cheers!

I'm not sure what you're asking here. cc *is* a GNU compiler. If
you mean will gcc work, then yes, but you're already using it. The
default version with FreeBSD is 2.7.2.1, this is the only one
verified to build kernels. You can install gcc-2.8.1 (which you
use as gcc -o hello hello.c). This won't overwrite the default so
you will have 2 versions.

I doubt, however, that you will need anymore than the default.

OK, you done "Hello, World". Now get yourself a copy of Kernighan &
Ritchie (2nd edition), and carry on ;-).